Oil & Gas
Carter Newell Lawyers is an award winning specialist law firm providing legal advice to Australian and international corporate clients.
Carter Newell has been a trusted advisor to some of the key members of the Australian oil & gas industry for over 20 years. Led by partners Bronwyn Clarkson and James Plumb, the Energy & Resources team have been heavily involved in the transition of the onshore Eastern Australia gas industry from its focus on the Cooper Basin to the unprecedented expansion associated with the development of coal seam gas reserves in the Surat and Bowen Basins underpinning three export LNG projects.
Our specialist advisors have the unique ability to combine an in-depth understanding of the industry and its regulatory challenges and requirements with significant commercial expertise gained from advising on oil and gas transactions and developments over a long period of time.
Our expertise allows us to advise and assist our oil & gas industry clients on all aspects of:
- Asset acquisitions and disposals, including with respect to industry specific due diligence investigations and tenement transfer issues;
- Exploration and production joint venture and unitisation negotiations and management;
- land access strategies, including with respect to private landholder compensation, native title and cultural heritage commitments;
- The development and construction of pipeline projects, including easement projects to secure rights of way;
- The sale, transportation and trading of oil and gas;
- Industry specific contracting requirements, including royalty arrangements, drill rig procurement, and other specialist services and procurement requirements;
- All aspects of the petroleum regulatory regime, including with respect to overlapping tenure issues, tenure management (including application, relinquishment and withdrawal), petroleum storage requirements, cross-tenement infrastructure and water management;
- Environmental regulatory regime compliance, enforcement and management; and
- Project and infrastructure decommissioning, remediation and rehabilitation.
The Energy & Resources team have familiarity with all relevant local and international model documents, including those published and maintained by AMPLA – the Resources and Energy Law Association, and the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN).
Our team’s approach is to provide our clients with strategic and practical legal advice and commercial solutions to legal problems. We focus on building long-term relationships with our clients, allowing us to better understand their business.
Many of our lawyers have key experience gained from long-term in-house secondments, giving them an even deeper understanding of our client’s needs.