Coal and Valuable Minerals
Carter Newell Lawyers is an award winning specialist law firm providing legal advice to Australian and international corporate clients.
Led by partners Bronwyn Clarkson, and James Plumb, the Resources team acts for a number of coal, gold and other valuable mineral explorers and producers, throughout many Australian and international jurisdictions. While most of our clients are based in Queensland, many of their projects are located interstate or overseas.
Most of our clients are listed on the ASX, although we do act for a number of private companies in this sector.
Our expertise in this sector includes:
- Advising on acquisitions, disposals, farm-in and farm-out dealings with respect to Queensland mineral assets, including preparation and negotiation of transaction documentation and legal due diligence investigations. Recent examples of our experience include:
- advising a listed gold producer in respect of the proposed farm-out of various Western Australian interests to a Chinese Government body; and
- advising a listed valuable minerals producer on the proposed acquisition of a Tasmanian gold mine.
- Drafting, advising and assisting in respect of all aspects of:
- exploration and production joint venture and joint operating agreements;
- haulage, rail and other transportation arrangements;
- port capacity arrangements;
- third party net smelter royalty and free carry arrangements; and
- mining services agreements.
- Assisting and advising in respect of landholder issues, including securing access to public and private land.
- Advising on all aspects of regulatory compliance, including:
- advising on the operation of the Mineral Resources Act 1989 (Qld) and ancillary legislation; and
- extensive experience dealing with key Queensland regulators, in particular the division of Mines and Energy and the Department of Environment and Resource Management.
- Assisting and advising in respect of tenement application and administration.