Law Clerk - Brisbane
Carter Newell Lawyers is an award-winning specialist law firm providing legal advice to Australian and international corporate clients. Founded in 1989, we are proud to celebrate 34 years of experience and service to our clients in 2023.
We recognise the importance of offering our staff not only the best work in our specialist areas, but also a culture which embraces flexibility, individuality, integrity and education. At Carter Newell, we encourage the best use of all skills and experience of our staff, providing greater efficiency and overall job satisfaction. Our strong culture is the backbone of our success, supported by the firm’s values.
This role provides support to the Financial Lines (Professional Indemnity) team in the service role of Law Clerk. Led by a Partner, this Financial Lines team specialises in the defence of real estate industry claims including resident unit managers and working closely with the Institute. The role will also support other work authors in the team by providing accurate, commercial legal and related advice to clients on a range of matters.
This is a 12-month contract with the opportunity to progress to an ongoing permanent contract. This role may also progress into a graduate position within the firm.
The key responsibilities of this role include:
- Managing the claims handling procedures from initial contact: receiving new matters; producing written summary; request relevant policy schedules/proposals; and provide client with details of all notifications in relation to status, likely quantum of claim, recommendations and advice;
- Managing notification of claims as defined within the policy to client as soon as practicable, providing formal response under the PIPA Act; opening files, identifying work author, advising claims officer and ensuring all information is captured and stored on client’s intranet; and
- Other matter related and law graduate work as delegated by the partner/senior work authors.
The role would suit a candidate who is currently 12-18 months away from completing their law degree and has a keen interest in insurance law.
Essential Experience and Criteria
To be considered for this opportunity, you will be currently completing your law degree and be looking for a role that will provide an excellent grounding to your legal career. Candidates will need to be available to work four days per week while balancing their study commitments.
The role requires highly developed interpersonal and organisational skills. Strong attention to detail and excellent written and oral communication skills are essential.
A structured induction program is offered to all staff. Our junior staff who are studying law are offered Professional Group Discussion (PDG) sessions on various topics relevant to the firm’s specialisation areas. Team-based and firm wide training is also offered.
At Carter Newell we are a professional team and have a strong client focus, but we love to have some fun along the way. We also provide:
- An ongoing commitment to career development
- A health & wellness program
- Workplace flexibility to ensure life balance
- A supportive leadership team dedicated to a culture of collegiality and excellence
- Extra perks that make a great office environment like fruit baskets and morning teas - any excuse for cake!
If you embrace firm culture, pursue excellence and have a passion for what you do, you will excel in a career at Carter Newell.
How to Apply
If this role sounds like you, please fill in your details in the Apply Now section below.