- Managing Partner
- Insurance and Aviation & Transport
- +61 (0) 7 3000 8355
- +61 (0) 414 669 413
Paul Hopkins is the Managing Partner at Carter Newell. He leads the firm with a commitment to prompt, proactive and client-focussed legal services. His dedication to the success of the firm ensures this philosophy is practised at every level throughout the firm and that the culture, growth and development are maintained.
Under Paul's leadership the firm has been recognised as a leading independent law firm.
Professionally, Paul has advised clients on the complete cross section of insurance-related matters for more than 25 years. This experience includes advising on all aspects of insurance law from general, property and injury liability to professional liability and aviation. Paul is an appointed member of the Queensland Law Society Accident Compensation Tort Law Section Committee and has also being individually recognised as one of Australia's 'Leading Lawyers'.
Paul's extensive experience in the insurance industry, both locally and internationally, means he is regularly approached by underwriters and brokers to assist at the front end of major corporate and institutional accounts to provide advice with respect to risk management and claims management issues. He has advised clients on all aspects of coverage and is often engaged to assist on major claims where employing a thorough and proactive claims management approach is crucial to ensuring clients' losses are minimised.
Paul has been appointed to the TAGLaw® Advisory Board of international alliance of independent law firms.
Paul is a member of the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel (FDCC), an organisation comprised of leaders in the insurance and corporate defense bar. FDCC membership is selective and by invitation to those who have been judged by their peers to have achieved professional distinction.
Paul is also a member of Australian Insurance Law Association (AILA), the Australian Professional Indemnity Group (APIG), the Aviation Law Association of Australia and New Zealand (ALAANZ).
- The Best Lawyers in Australia 2019 - Aviation Law, Insurance Law, Litigation and Professional Malpractice Litigation
- Leading Australian Aviation Lawyer by Doyle's Guide 2018
- The Best Lawyers in Australia 2018 - Aviation Law, Insurance Law and Litigation
- Finalist Australasian Law Awards - Australian Law Firm of the Year (up to 100 lawyers)
- Leading Australian Aviation Lawyer by Doyle's Guide 2017
- Leading Queensland Professional Indemnity Lawyer by Doyle's Guide 2016
- Finalist Lawyers Weekly Australasian Law Awards 2016 - Managing Partner of the Year
- Finalist Lawyers Weekly Partner of the Year Award 2016 - Insurance
- The Best Lawyers in Australia 2017 - Insurance Law and Litigation
- Leading Australian Aviation Lawyer by Doyle's Guide 2016
- The Best Lawyers in Australia 2016 - Insurance Law
- Preeminent Leading Brisbane Professional Indemnity Lawyer by Doyle's Guide 2015