- Managing Partner
- Insurance and Aviation & Transport
- +61 (0) 7 3000 8355
- +61 (0) 414 669 413
Paul is the Managing Partner of Carter Newell. He leads the firm with a commitment to prompt, proactive and client-focussed legal services.
His leadership style is collaborative. This leads him to work closely with the partnership and management team across the firm’s Eastern seaboard offices to develop and drive the firm’s business development strategy and ‘one team’ approach. He actively nurtures the culture and succession of the firm, and as a member of the Carter Newell board, works to set the firm’s strategic direction and growth strategy.
Paul’s industry and business knowledge is reflected in his agility to respond to changing client and market needs, while appreciating the need to stay ahead of the curve in operational effectiveness across all industries; not just the legal profession. This is evidenced through the firm’s continued investment in technology, adoption of innovative practices, commitment to information security and quality management best practice to improve both efficiency and client service.
Under Paul's leadership the firm has consistently been recognised as a leading independent law firm.
Professionally, Paul has advised clients on the complete cross section of insurance-related matters for over 30 years. This experience includes advising on all aspects of insurance law from general, property and injury liability to professional liability and aviation. His extensive experience in the insurance industry, both locally and internationally, means he is regularly approached by underwriters and brokers to assist at the front end of major corporate and institutional accounts to provide advice with respect to risk management and claims management issues. He has advised clients on all aspects of coverage and is often engaged to assist on major claims where employing a thorough and proactive claims management approach is crucial to ensuring clients' losses are minimised.
Paul’s demonstrated commitment to the legal profession is evidenced by his appointment to the TAGLaw® Advisory Board, an international alliance of independent law firms. He is also a member of the Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel (FDCC), an organisation comprised of leaders in the insurance and corporate defense bar. FDCC membership is selective and by invitation to those who have been judged by their peers to have achieved professional distinction.
Paul is an appointed member of the Queensland Law Society's Equity and Diversity Committee, a member of Australian Insurance Law Association (AILA), the Australian Professional Indemnity Group (APIG), and the Aviation Law Association of Australia and New Zealand (ALAANZ).
In August 2020, Paul was named winner of the Australasian Law Awards - Law Firm Leader of the Year (<200 lawyers) award. He has been recognised in the 2022 edition of Best Lawyers in Australia and as a Leading Lawyer by Doyle’s Guide.
- Winner Australasian Lawyers - Most Influential Lawyers 2021
- The Best Lawyers in Australia 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017 and 2016 (edns) - Aviation Law; Insurance Law; Litigation; Professional Malpractice Litigation
- Winner Australasian Law Awards 2020 - Law Firm Leader of the Year (≤200 lawyers)
- Leading Australian Aviation Lawyer by Doyle's Guide 2018, 2017 and 2016
- Finalist Australasian Law Awards 2017 - Law Firm Leader of the Year
- Leading Queensland Professional Indemnity Lawyer by Doyle's Guide 2016
- Finalist Lawyers Weekly Australian Law Awards 2016 - Managing Partner of the Year
- Finalist Lawyers Weekly Partner of the Year Award 2016 - Insurance
- Preeminent Brisbane Professional Indemnity Lawyer by Doyle's Guide 2015