- + 61 (0) 7 3000 8305
- +61 (0) 410 221 053
Michael is a Partner in Carter Newell’s Financial Lines group, where he specialises in defending professional indemnity claims across a broad range of industries including the property sector (real estate agents, valuers, surveyors and other property industry participants), the health care sector (including doctors, nurses, hospitals, dentists, allied health care professionals and primary health organisations), brokers, accountants and financial advisers. He has also defended many insureds before disciplinary tribunals and investigations, as well conducting the defence of numerous regulatory proceedings.
Michael also has extensive experience in dealing with directors’ and officers’ liability claims and has been involved in some of the largest and most high profile D&O and class action claims in Australia, both as defence and coverage counsel.
In addition, Michael has had considerable experience in defending management liability claims (on behalf of corporate insureds and not-for-profit organisations), as well as employment practices liability claims. More recently, Michael has had conduct of many cyber claims, as well as dealing with claims under environmental liability policies.
As well as conducting litigation in courts of all jurisidictions across Australia, in addition to regularly appearing in tribunals, Michael is a strong advocate of alternative dispute resolution and regularly represents his insurer and insured clients at mediations and arbitrations.
Before joining Carter Newell at the beginning of 2003, Michael practiced in the United Kingdom and New Zealand. He has worked both in private practice overseas, as well as in several senior in house roles, including at a Swiss investment bank and at a large North American insurer in London.
Michael regularly provides training and risk management advice to his insurer clients and various industry organisations, as well as providing advice on policy drafting and interpretation, as well as best practice advice and compliance with legislation. Michael actively contributes to the profession by virtue of his role as a member of the Queensland Law Society's Professional Conduct Committee, an active member of the Australian Professional Indemnity Group (APIG) and the Australian Insurance Law Association (AILA).
- Best Lawyers in Australia 2020 - Professional Malpractice Litigation
- Leading Queensland Medical Negligence Lawyer (Defendant) in Doyle's Guide 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 and 2015
- Leading Queensland Professional Indemnity Lawyer in Doyle's Guide 2019, 2018, 2017 and 2016
Publications, Professional Guides and Presentations
Professional Guides and other documents
- Australian Civil Liability Guide 10th edition
- PDF 1.48 MB
- Professional and Management Liability Gazette 1st edition
- PDF 4.29 MB
- Professional and Management Liability Gazette 2nd edition
- PDF 3.62 MB
- Professional and Management Liability Gazette 3rd edition
- PDF 2.85 MB
- Property and Real Estate Gazette 1st edition
- PDF 6.39 MB
- Property and Real Estate Gazette 2nd edition
- PDF 7.3 MB
- Workplace Relations Gazette 1st edition
- PDF 4.94 MB
- Workplace Relations Gazette 2nd edition
- PDF 3.96 MB