Professional Liability Insurance
Carter Newell Lawyers is an award winning specialist law firm providing legal advice to Australian and international corporate clients.
Led by partners Michael Gapes, Mark Brookes, Michael Bath and Julie Bowker in Sydney, and Ben Hall in Melbourne, the Professional Liability team handles claims made against professionals across all industries which include:
- The legal profession (solicitors and barristers);
- Financial institutions such as financial and investment advisers, fund managers and mortgage brokers and banks;
- Design and construction professionals including engineers, architects, surveyors, valuers, town planners and building certifiers; and
- Business and insurance brokers, company directors and officers, trustees and insureds for representative bodies and professionals such as real estate agents, accountants and insolvency practitioners.
We also act on behalf of rural and agronomical advisers and for the medical industry including hospitals and para-medical professionals.
As a highly complex and sensitive area of law, professional liability demands effective case resolution strategies. Our team works to support all the relevant stakeholders, being the broker, the insurer and the insured. This involvement enables us to assist in risk management and claim assessment strategies.
We have expertise in defending the following types of claims:
- Professional indemnity
- Directors' and Officers' liability
- Trustees' and Office Bearers' liability
- Errors and omissions
- Fraud and dishonesty
- Civil liability
- Medical malpractice
- Financial lines
- Construction professionals
- Employment practices liability.
We are renowned among the legal and insurance industries as being a 'premier' legal service provider for professional liability insurance risks.
Carter Newell is proud to release the inaugural edition of the Professional Liability Guide. This latest insurance publication provided to our clients and the insurance industry examines two interrelated areas: the scope of the liabilities currently faced by professionals, and the extent to which professional indemnity insurance is available to cover that exposure and the associated costs of defending claims.
In the current litigious environment, the importance of professional indemnity insurance cannot be understated with the wide variety of claims made against professionals. This Guide summarises the key liability and indemnity issues that arise and that have been considered by the courts.