- Energy & Resources
- +61 (0) 7 3000 8367
- +61 (0) 407 757 636
James is a specialist lawyer in the field of energy and resources law.
He has considerable experience advising clients in respect of the sale and acquisition of mining and petroleum projects, infrastructure and transportation arrangement negotiations, operating and joint venture advice and negotiations, commodity sale and transportation arrangements, the impact of various state-based petroleum and mining regulatory regimes and land access and compensation negotiations.
He also has experience liaising with regulatory bodies and government departments on behalf of his clients in respect of all aspects of their projects.
James was named 2022 Lawyer of the Year - Mining Law and 2021 Lawyer of the Year – Oil & Gas Law by Best Lawyers in Australia. Doyle's Guide also named him as a Leading Queensland Energy & Resources Lawyer for 2021.
He is also a past-President and current member of the Queensland Petroleum Exploration Association (QUPEX Inc), a Queensland committee member of Energy & Resources Law Association (formerly AMPLA), and the immediate past-Chair and current member of the QLS Mining and Resources Law Committee.
James regularly presents at industry conferences and has been published in academic journals on topics relating to his area of expertise.
- Leading Queensland Energy & Resources Lawyer by Doyle's Guide 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017 and 2016
- The Best Lawyers in Australia 2022 (edn) - Lawyer of the Year: Mining Law
- The Best Lawyers in Australia 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018 and 2017 (edns) - Energy Law; Natural Resources Law; Oil & Gas Law; Mining Law
- The Best Lawyers in Australia 2021 (edn) - Brisbane Lawyer of the Year: Oil & Gas Law
- Client Choice Awards 2016 - Recognised for excellence in client service in the Energy and Resources sector in Australia