- +61 (0) 7 3000 8481
- +61 (0) 438 794 028
Matt has more than 15 years experience advising public and private companies and government entities in relation to mergers and acquisitions, strategic investments, joint ventures, structuring, due diligence and general corporate and business issues.
Prior to joining Carter Newell, Matt spent over six years in the Corporate team of a top tier National firm and worked in London as a corporate lawyer in a magic circle firm and as in-house counsel in the investment and merchant banking division of an international investment bank. Matt combines this experience with commercial acumen and a thorough understanding of his clients' business and their attitude to operational and financial risk to provide targeted and commercially driven legal advice.
In addition to regularly advising clients across a number of industry sectors on asset and share acquisitions and disposals, Matt specialises in corporate transactional work including acting for investors and target entities in relation to strategic investments and exits, providing advice in relation to corporate restructures and undertaking due diligence investigations. Matt has a particular interest in setting up business structures, including establishing incorporated and unincorporated joint ventures and drafting and negotiating shareholders agreements.
Matt is also experienced in drafting and negotiating significant commercial contracts, including supply and distribution agreements, service agreements, consultancy agreements and general procurement contracts for clients in the mining services and energy industries.
- Finalist - Lawyers Weekly Partner of the Year Awards 2022 - Mergers and Acquisitions Partner of the Year and Corporate Partner of the Year
- Leading Corporate Lawyer by Doyle's Guide 2023, 2022 and 2021
- Leading Business & Commercial Lawyer by Doyle's Guide 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019 and 2018
- The Best Lawyers in Australia 2022 (edn) - Corporate Law; Mergers and Acquisitions Law and Commercial Law
- The Best Lawyers in Australia 2021, 2020, 2019 and 2018 (edns) - Corporate Law; Mergers and Acquisitions Law